Saturday, September 18, 2010

Spontaneous Trips

We were never the richest family but my mom and dad always believed in multiple mini trips throughout the year. Growing up we would always take our BIG trip in the summer to ST Louis to see everything that town had to offer. One particular winter's weekend we took an unexpected weekend trip that was most memorable because it was unpronounced unplanned and to say the least spontaneous.

At the time, I was playing varsity soccer and my mom picked me up after my Friday practice. She instructed me that we were going home, packing, and quickly leaving. Caught off guard I assumed we were running from the law but was told that dad was taking us on a weekend Nashville trip. That night we left our mundane lives in Millington to break away from the norm and enjoy a little different change of scenery.

We arrived in Nashville and stayed at he Holiday Inn there by the Nashville airport. It was winter and pre-Oprymills so there was not much to do; however, if you know of this particular hotel you are aware of its amenities. I do not think we left the Holiday Inn facility once since we arrived. We had an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzis, indoor putt-putt course, ping pong table, TV area, and each night there was a live band. This was just in the lobby area. We ate all of our meals in he hotel restaurant and simply enjoyed each other's company.

Looking back one could go to any hotel in Memphis and enjoy a similar getaway, but the reality of that weekend is that it was different and unexpected. Years later, on my wedding day, my dad gave me a solid piece of advice and key to a happy marriage and family. He simply reminded me to take little trips spontaneous or not to keep things alive, to break away from the routine and fall in love with your spouse and family all over again. I was reminded of our little Nashville trip and realized my mom and dad were doing just that.

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment