Saturday, September 18, 2010

FBC Millington

I have been very blessed to be born into a family that took my brother and I to church consistantly. I have been a member of First Baptist Church Millington for 30 years now. I often tell people that I was born on a Thursday and in my momma's arms at FBC that next Sunday. Needless to say FBC has played a major part in my life.

First Baptist Church Millington has always been a pillar in the Millington community. During the Naval days the church openned its doors to the young men, women, and their families and provided a temporary church home for them until their leave was called. I am not sure why my parents chose FBC Millington prior to my birth but I am convinced they made a wise choice.

I accedpted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior at age 6 as my mom led me to the Lord. Bro. Paul, children's mininster at that time, helped nourish this new salvation all through out my elementary school days in children's church. My love for Christ really didn't flourish until I first entered into the Youth group at age 12. My 7th grade year was the first year for our new music minister Bro. Rusty Eason. I started singing in the youth choir and immediately took a love for music. Bro. Rusty and I really developed a relationship there because we were both starting in unfamiliar waters at the same time and he and I developed a lasting friendship. Bro. Rusty is extremely talented and can play practically every instrument. He encouraged me to start playing guitar and so I did. Around my freshmen year of high school I started leading praise and worship for the FBC Youth group and really felt God leading more into a music ministry role.

First Baptist Church gave me a great foundation in music by being plugged into the choirs and occasional solos. I was mentored by many great people in the church as well as many great teachers. Through music I was able to land scholarships to the University of Memphis in Vocal Performace as well as continued to stay involved in FBC's College and Career. I led the prasie and worship in College and Career and continued to play anywhere and everywhere that would have me. There in College and Career I met, dated, and married my wife. We were married in June of 2002
at First Baptist.

We continued to be plugged into the music ministry as well as various other leadership ministries at FBC. Five years later we were blessed with our first born. She was dedicated at FBC in the Spring of 2007. Its funny to know that some of the same people who now have my daugter in the nursery cared for me when I was in the nursery many years ago.

Throughout all of these experiences at First Baptist there was my pastor Bro. Ray Newcomb. Brother Ray dedicated me as a baby when I was born, baptized me at age 6, baptized my wife, married my wife and me, and dedicated our daughter not to long ago. Bro. Ray had been my only pastor for 30 years up until his retirement in May of 2009. He is a truly remarkable man of God and this community has been blessed to have him.

Pastor David Leavell was voted in to be the new senior pastor this past fall. I have had several oppertunities to sit down and talk with Pastor David and I am extremely excited to see God work through this man. He has a heart for the Lord, he believes the bible is God's true word, and he has a great plan for First Baptist and the North Shelby, South Tipton communities.

God has truly blessed this church as well as my upbringing in the church. If you are new to the community, or have lived here your entire life and looking for a church home I highly recommend First Baptist Church. I am so thankful that part of God's plan for my life was to be cemented into a church like First Baptist Millington.

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment