Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Firefighter's Christmas

Growing up we didn't have a routine Christmas tradition with the immediate family due to my dad's work schedule. My dad has been a City of Memphis Firefighter for nearly 26 years now. Having a firefighter as a dad was pretty much like having a whole other family. There's a sense of camaraderie with firefighters where we all knew each other and kept up with each others families. My dad not only loves his job but has developed a real passion for helping others through the fire department.

If you are unfamiliar with a firefighters schedule I will enlighten you. A typical firefighter will work 24hrs on and 24hrs off for 4 consecutive days then have 4 consecutive days off. So planning holidays around this kind of schedule was never really difficult as long as everyone was flexible to understand the reasons behind it.
There have been many a Christmas mourn when mom and dad would wake my brother and me up at 4:00 in the mourning so we can celebrate Christmas as a family before dad had to leave for the station at 6:00am. My brother and I never had a problem with this because number one, we get to see what Santa brought us, and number two we knew Christmas without dad wouldn't be complete. It was a little painful however when dad was getting off work on Christmas day and we had to wait till he got home at 8:00am to open presents. Still the same principles applied.

As my brother and I got older and moved into different stages of life dad did as well by following a tradition of veteran leadership with in the fire department. Dad started covering morning shifts for the younger firefighters with young kids so they can enjoy their family Christmas. I admire that in a firefighter and I especially know these younger privates appreciate it as well. My dad always made plenty of time for his family given his profession. I can honestly say that my dad has always been there for me. The sacrifices my family made to be together when I was child made such an impact on me that I have adopted the same to spend every moment I can with my young family.

This Christmas I want you to think about your local firefighters and police as they serve and protect so you can enjoy your family Christmas. One of the benefits working on Christmas day at the fire department was the out pouring of the community bringing small gifts and food to their local stations. When family couldn't be present, the community was.
Merry Christmas,

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment