Saturday, September 18, 2010

Clark Kent

As a kid I dreamed of being many things when I grew up. Living in
Millington, practically every kid wanted to be a fighter pilot. We had
influence from the F-14 jets flying over every 15 minutes.
The Millington skyline was filled with fighter jets from morning to
dark. It was an exciting place live to say the least.

As I got older my taste change, as it often does, and like most
teenagers with a guitar around their neck I wanted to be a singer. At
the time my favorite musician was Garth Brooks. I played everything he
played and started to imitate his style as much as possible. My very first song I
ever sang in front of an audience was "The Dance". Later in life God
convicted me and I started playing music for Him, but of
course Garth's whole Chris Gaines alter-ego turned me off of his music
like it did most anyways.

So my dream was set, and off to Nashville I go playing in every place
that would have me. I worked full time as a bank teller during the day
and at night played at local restaurants, night joints, and other hang
outs. Something unexpected happened to me though. I found myself
moving further up in the bank than I was in my music career. Banking
was never a job I had a desire for, but it fit my schedule so I could purse my dream. Banking, however,
was slowly taking over my dream until it became my full time "career".


Ten years, a wife, daughter, mortgage, and two cars later I found
myself still consumed in a banking career. This past Fall I was
going through a bible study of Tony Dungee's ”UnCommon” book. He posed
the question " what is your true potential?” From a biblical stand
point, "what is it that you love to do that not everyone loves to do
or can do?" At that point it hit me. Music has always and will always
be my passion. Can I make a living doing this passion? Most likely
not but it is a gift God has given me and I am to be obedient with
this gift. For ten years I realized I had tucked my red cape behind my
suit and posed as Clark Kent when I’ve been Superman this entire
time. I immediately prayed that God use me and the gift He's given me
as a ministry for Him. He has not disappointed me since and has
allowed me to lead worship in numerous venues since I made that
commitment to Him.

I am still a banker and play the role of Clark Kent during the day.
Banking provides the necessities to meet my family's needs but also
finances my ministry. On stage I reveal my true identity and continue
to willing fully lead worship. Now this is just me. We all have a
passion, a dream that separates you from your neighbor or co-worker.
When was the last time you shed your Clark Kent disguise and showcased
your true identity? As Christians we are given specific spiritual
gifts. These gifts are our ministry in the church. Our gifts always
fits our personality and who we are, we are perfect for the gift. As
the body of Christ, God has knit you together for the art for what
you're good at. You take this talent to God; lay it at the feet of
Jesus and ask "how can I point people to You with this?” God will honor
you and that art for Him. You may be a shy person, but a mighty prayer
warrior or you may be very creative and volunteer for multiple
productions and events. Regardless you are made special and there is
no one else like you. Take off those glasses, hat, and coat. Let the
world see you for who you are, a superhero.

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment