Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lucy Elementary

I could not have asked for a better introduction to my first school experience than what Lucy Elementary provided me. When I started kindergarten in 1984 Lucy was this picturesque community, very family involved, school that proved to be inviting to a five year old like me who had never been away from my family for a consistent period of time. Some of my greatest early childhood memories were spawned out of this red bricked, green shingled roof school house.

Dr. Evelyn Jewel was the principle when I attended. I remember her always making sure we kindergarteners had everything we needed to make our time at Lucy a pleasant one. I remember we had "Old Fashion Day" and Dr. Jewel would dress up in an old dress and bonnet, and drive us around the school in a mule drawn buggy. Dr. Jewel also allowed several other events at the school like the annual Halloween carnival, community day and many other events that truly made the school Lucy's own. Many years later, as I was working at my first bank and Dr Jewel came in to conduct some business. I had the opportunity to help her. Before I could even introduce myself she called me by name and gave me the biggest hug. There is something to be said about an educator like Dr. Jewel who has taught so many children to remember a student like myself twenty years later.

I can easily name all of my teachers at Lucy because they all had an impact on my early education in some form or fashion. Ms. Becky was my kindergarten teacher who was so patient with me my first year. Ms. Brown was my first grade teacher who still brags even to this day, about how great a student I was. Ms. Brown has made such an impact on my life that I dedicated an entire article all about her. There is not a Sunday that goes by that she doesn't hug my neck still. Ms. Monroe was my second grade teacher and that was the first year I received principles honor role. Ms. Westmoreland was my third grade teacher and it was there that I honed my skills as the "teacher's pet". I learned quickly that if you make yourself available and offer your assistance to your teacher she will love you to death. At least that’s how it worked out for me. Mr. Lunsford was my P.E. coach and he is now the principle at Millington Elementary where my mom works. Ms. Hair was the Librarian, and Mr. Walker was our music teacher. Mr. Walker had an interesting way of motivating us to sing. During school programs he would sit behind the choir instead of directing from the front. He would scream at the top of his lungs "SING! SING! SING!!!!" You would've thought we were snow dogs in a race and he was the driver. Nevertheless if he didn't do that I most likely wouldn't have remembered him.

Lucy holds so many memories for me outside of the classroom as well. At one time the playground had three big oak trees that made perfect bases for recess kickball games. There was one of those ten foot metal slides that burnt your legs during the summer and an old merry-go-round. The swing sets were those white painted "A" frame structures where I had carved multiple love notes to girls on. Before they removed those swing sets I went back to Lucy and sure enough those same carvings were still there.

I absolutely loved Lucy Elementary. It was an era when practically every mom was a room mother, the pledge of allegiance was said every morning, school pride actually meant something, and the community was just as active as the staff was in regards to the betterment of the establishment. Even today I am still proud to call myself a Lucy Eagle.

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment