Saturday, September 18, 2010

One True Millington Family

Every now and then there are certain people who I like to write about who have made a profound impact on not only my life,but my family's as well. There are so many of you out there who have played a major role in our lives and each of you deserve appreciation. Unfortunately, there are only so many articles I can write.

I would, however, like to write about a particular family that has always taken my family in among many other families here in Millington. This particular family has befriended several in the community, and it is rare when you cannot find a connection in some form or fashion to this family. I am speaking of my friends, Claude and Norma Freeman.

The Freemans settled in Lucy and had four daughters: Beth, Judy, Robin, and Diane. Claude was retired Navy and started his trade in the construction business where he quickly developed several relationships here in the Millington area. All four girls were married off and three of the four still reside in Lucy today. Beth married Steve Sparks, another native Lucy boy, and later became some of my parents' very best friends. Through that relationship, the Childresses were accepted into the Freeman family with open arms.

Some of my favorite childhood memories happened at the Freemans. Starting every Memorial Day until Labor Day, the Freemans would host a cookout every Sunday afternoon. Families from all around would come over and bring several dishes of food. Picnic tables would be placed together to form a potluck train of goodies. The men would always hang out under the gazebo where the grilling took place. We would eat everything from burgers to catfish. All of us kids would go swimming in the Freemans' pool. On average I would estimate there to be ten or twelve families there every Sunday afternoon, making the kid count to be anywhere between twenty to forty. Needless to say, there were a lot of kids in that pool. Mr. Claude would have the Oldies 98 radio station playing while we all enjoyed our summer afternoons. After lunch the brave would make their way over to the self-made volleyball court on the side of the yard. I say the brave, because to a ten-year old, you had to be brave to play with these guys. Although it was intimidating to be a kid playing all of these grown men, I have to admit it was pretty invigorating when I made a great play and had all of these guys give you props. It was not fun, however, when my chicken leg self had to guard a Jeremy or Larry Bright or someone twice my size. All in all it was great fun and made for an outstanding summer tradition.

The Freemans not only opened their home up to us on Sunday afternoons, but several other instances like Fourth of July, Thanksgiving (when we had no plans), and we’ve even celebrated Christmas with them on occasion. My brother even had a couple of birthday parties and baseball parties there as well. To me, what makes this family so special is this well-established family, a family who could be perfectly happy spending time with just each other, opened up their friendships to families like ours who had no other family around them. The Freemans are the epitome of community, and one that I personally strive for with my own little family. Step outside your comfort zone and make a lifelong impact on others.

-Steve Childress

No comments:

Post a Comment