Thursday, September 1, 2011

What is a Man's Man Exactly?


I know you've heard of this saying before. "He is a Man's Man", generally referring to a more than macho version of any of us. But what really makes up a "Man's Man"? Do they have to be as tough as the Brawny Man? His main task in life is geared around housework, so he's out. What about these WWF wrestlers? They're full of testosterone and steroids, but they also wear tights and shiny red boots, so they're out. Oh I know, bikers. Harley riding, leather wearing, hardcore bikers. But even as tough as they are is this what a Man's man is measured by?

I bring this up because these days there are all sorts of men out there. I can just look within my own circle of friends and find vast differences in each individual person. For instance, I have friends that are as strong as an ox, and then there's me. I have friends who are daredevil firefighters, and then I have some who analyse reports all day. I have friends who work on massive electric generators that can power a small city, and then I have friends who can move millions of dollars with the stroke of their pen. We are all different but at the end of the day we are all still men. So this begs to ask the question, is there a Man's man in existence today?

One of my friends owns a successful landscape company. He works all hours of the day in the Memphis 100 degree heat. He is toiling the ground, uprooting trees, and doing everything by the sweat of his brow. Look at me. I am in an air conditioned office surrounded by bottled water, an LED TV, and am wearing a suit and tie. Am I less of a man than my friend because my line of work is not as rugged as his, or his line of work is not as comfortable as mine? Absolutely not!

According to the Childress Dictionary a "Man" is defined as one who accepts his responsibilities, takes care of his family even if it means sacrificing his own needs before theirs, being a spiritual leader for their family, loving their wives unconditionally, setting an example to his children on how a husband and wife should treat each other, never giving up, and probably the most important next to being a spiritual leader, spending quality time with your children and spouse. These are essential qualifications for being a man and it has nothing to do with your job or whether if your hands have ca lases or paper cuts, its how you live your life that defines you.
So I ask the question again, What makes up a Man's Man? You do.

-Steve
http://www.stevechildressmusic.com/

2 comments:

  1. So how did Nashville end up No. 1 in that ranking of "Most Manly Cities?" Is it the cowboy hats?

    ReplyDelete