Thursday, September 8, 2011

What I got out of the 2011 GOP debate.


Now I'm by no means a political writer but I do like to be in the know. I do believe that as an American citizen I still have a voice and can make a difference with this voice. I am also a Republican so obviously am very interested to see who will be fighting for my rights in the upcoming election, what there views are, and where their beliefs lye with my own beliefs.

I'll be honest with you this is the first time I have really paid close attention to what each candidate brings to the table. The obvious front runner is Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and it's quite clear to see why. Perry is a "to the point", confident, firm in his belief, will not be wavered Texan. He is, what I feel this country needs, a cowboy figure to swing in and rescue this country that is in distress. He has a great track record with Texas, his economic beliefs are right on, and he takes a bold step in his Christian faith. When you are criticized for standing for Christ you are doing something right.
The second runner up, and why the party paired them together is Mitt Romeny. Mitt does not seem to have the confidence Perry has but I will give that he didn't have much to work with taking on a failing Massachusetts. He has good ideas and is second in the polls but I really do not see him lasting that long in this campaign. He doesn't have the fight in him that I see in the other candidates.
Now people that I like and caused me to raise and eyebrow or even applaud out loud at times. One being Herman Cain. Love this guy. Will he be the party's pick, I doubt it, but I hope he is picked up as a running VP choice. He is right on with his remarks and uses his Baptist preacher skills to debate. The question was posed about federal taxes in which Cain said he proposes his "9-9-9%" tax plan. He made the comment that if God can use our 10% then we the people can work off 9%. great remark.

Another candidate I've always had much respect for is good ole Newt Gingrich. Although he has a plan and place of action he was the only candidate that vocally criticized the media for trying to get the GOP candidates to fight each other. I applaud him for this because Yes there needs to be a winner but let the people decide this and the party as a whole concentrate on beating the current administration in office.
Overall it was a great debate. There was a lot of the same rhetoric and not wanting to greatly offend the other candidate, but it's still early. There will be plenty of time for that. As for now, my wagon is hitched to Gov Rick Perry. For the most part I believe and am for everything he stands for. I need to investigate a little further on his Social Security views as well health reform, but as of now he is my man. I want to leave you with some encouragement to really seek out what you want in our next leader. What are you most passionate about and match those views to the candidate that best fits your beliefs. God knows we need change, let's make sure we put the right kind of change in office.

- Steve
www.stevechildressmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment